Monday, June 6, 2016

Traveling to Iloilo? Jot down these common phrases and words.

Welcome to my blog (second blog, actually).
Click this link for my first blog
I'd admit that I had a humble beginning in Iloilo in 2007. I was a freshman at that time. Iloilo became a testing ground for whatever Filipino words that came by. 
Good thing in that span of time, I've learned to realize the great similarities to syntax, verbiage and vocabularies. These two languages are just two of the many other great languages in the Visayas region.

If you are a traveler and you happen to book your flight to Iloilo, these words will be pretty handy. 
1. Karon
Karon in Bisaya is now; while Karon in Hiligaynon is later. Funny but misleading. In spanish it is ahoya and in German is jetzt
2. Ka tikalon gid ya cmu
This means you are flamboyant in a way but this should be perceived in a negative way unless otherwise stated. At times, I get this positively (I'm an optimist) and please don't base it on the tone.

Spanish translation can be: usted es tan arrogante
German translation can be: Sie sind so arrogant
3. Pila ka bilog? 
How many. "Bilog" is viewed as a circle and for most Cebuanos, this sounds funny.

wie viele? will be the German translation

¿cuántos? is the Spanish translation. 
4. Mango
This is not a fruit but rather, this means 'dumb' or 'stupid. 
Example: 'ka mango gid ya cmu' (You're so dumb)

tonto is the Spanish translation whilst stumm as the german counterpart. 
5. Kis-a lang
Seldomly. I've heard this honestly when I was one of those crucial crazy rides to Miagao. 
6. Gararabe 
Another 'overlooped' Grabe; creative brilliance to make it sound gay but honestly, this came from beautiful gals. Those gals with shining braces. In other words: 'that's too much'.

eso es demasiado (Spanish)
das ist zu viel (German) 

Example:
Gararabe na gid ya. 
7. Mangaon ta
Don't say this, by the way. It means you're an aswang (monster) who eats children. This should be Makaon ta? 

'Let's eat'
Comamos (Spanish)
Lass uns essen (German) 

8. Subong
Before I forget, Subong is today (in response to number 1) in Hiligaynon. Pretty confusing at first, but great coincidence that my roomate's last name is SUBONG. 
9. Subo
It means sad. Really. 'Ahay, nasubo gid ko ya' (I feel sad)

me siento triste (Spanish)
ich bin traurig (German)
10. Hambal
Hambal means 'talk'. You'll hear this more frequently than the rest of the words above. 
Example: 'Ano gane to ginhambal mo sakon kagapon?' (what did you tell me yesterday?)


lo que me dijiste ayer? (Spanish)
was haben Sie mir sagen, gestern ? (German)

If you have questions, or you if you want me to translate Hiligaynon (or Ilonggo) to English, or Cebuano, please send me an email hermesmagnus1824@gmail.com. 

Share this post to a friend. 

Eldee

No comments:

Post a Comment